- It is not specified by the language whether the same external file can be
associated with more than one file object. If such sharing is supported by
the implementation, the following effects are defined:
- Operations on one text file object do not affect the column,
line, and page numbers of any other file object.
- Standard_Input and Standard_Output are associated with distinct
external files, so operations on one of these files cannot affect
operations on the other file. In particular, reading from
Standard_Input does not affect the current page, line, and column
numbers for Standard_Output, nor does writing to Standard_Output
affect the current page, line, and column numbers for Standard_Input.
- For direct and stream files, the current index is a property of
each file object; an operation on one file object does not affect
the current index of any other file object.
- For direct and stream files, the current size of the file is a
property of the external file.
- All other effects are identical.
-- Email comments, additions, corrections, gripes, kudos, etc. to:
Magnus Kempe -- Magnus.Kempe@di.epfl.ch
Page last generated: 95-03-12